Can I grow and breed mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NanoByte, Jul 15, 2010.

1. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Can i grow and breed mealworms?

If yes, how?

2. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
  3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
  4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Yep I have a 3 drawer plastic thingy full of them [​IMG] Just add wheat bran and some carrots and let them go. you'll get beatles then eggs then babies. The above links have a lot of good info.

5. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:I've got the 3 drawer plastic thingy too. I use apples and potatoes. So far LOTS of beatles eating and doing beatle things. Its been three months so I think you really need to understand that it doesn't happen overnight (like I thought)!

6. Armageddon

Armageddon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Southern California
    I do! It is soooooo easy. I keep brad in a rubbermaid bin. put is some worms add apples or cactus every now and again.....once the beetles start going you can sprinkle the bran on a white sheet of paper and see super tiny worms.....

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Breeding mealworms is about the easiest thing you can possibly do. I used to have lizards and learned by accident on how to.

I bought a box of 100 meal worms and I placed them in a large cat litter bucket with a lid that I cut out the middle and duct taped screen on the top so I could still close it.

I then added a bag of oatmeal and the mealworms in it. the oatmeal is great for everything the meal worms really need. and because it is dry you will avoid molding issues which can cause a lot of harm to your chickens or other pets. I then bought the powder to make gelatin water, you can pick this up in the canning department at the grocery store. make it like you would be making jello and then use a fork to stir vigorously when set to break up into tiny gel crystals. Use a small coffee lid and add a TBSP of gelatin water to it on top of the oatmeal. the worms will get their water safely, without drowning. Every couple days check to make sure they have gelatin water if not add more. Keep the rest in a sealed container in the fridge.

Meal worms will turn to pupae and eventually will turn into beetles those beetles lay tiny tiny eggs you cannot see and then hatch. the tiny worms are so small they are hard to see, so when sifting through oatmeal be gentle, it won't kill them if you sift through with your hand to pick up more worms for your chickens or other pets. the bettles do not bite by the way.
    Also the pupae will move when touched its a little freaky at first...lol..

meal worms shed their skins until they reach about 1 inch long at which time this is when they are full grown and about to turn to bettles. the whole process will take time so patience is key. they will also eat any remaining dead shells or carcasses, its a way to recycle and keep thier area clean.

I literally placed the bucket in a cupboard under the sink and left it in there, making sure to add more gel water here and there, whenever I needed worms I would take it out sift through it pick out the ones I wanted and then put it right back. the most nutritious worms are the ones that just shed their skins, hyou will know which ones they are because they will be a lighter colour almost white compared to the rest.

after a couple months add more oatmeal as they eat it it turns into this dusty stuff, but its hard to see what are eggs and what are not in there so I usually leave it. A food I used to sprinkle in there was iguana fruit pellets I would gring in my coffee grinder to give them extra nutrition, they smelled more appealing to my lizards that way :) but oatmeal does have all the nutrition the worms need, plus it keeps them dry and warm. small apple slices are a great treat but keep them or other fruits/vegies from getting the oatmeal wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by