can i hatch 2 different time set in the same incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Nov 26, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have about 20 or so of silkie eggs in the bator. I put them in 9 days ago. I would like to put in another 14 silkies egg in today. Can i put them in together and hatch out 2 different dates. ?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes, that would be fine. Do you have an automatic turner? If you do it will have to come out while the first batch hatches. I usually put the 2nd batch in egg cartons so the chicks from the first batch can't bang them around too much.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have done a staggering hatch, but I have 2 incubators. One as an incubator and one as a hatcher. I don't see how your going to increase the humidity for the ones ready to hatch without causing too much humidity for the ones that you just set.

If you have 2 incubators it will work.

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    no i dont have a egg turner in it. I couldnt find one for the bantam eggs. But that is a real good idea with the egg carton i am going to do that.thanks

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    If you have a turner, maybe you could just take some trays out when it's time to lockdown the first batch? You want to keep turning the second batch, but you don't want to lose humidity on the first while they're trying to hatch. If you don't have a turner, throw a warm wet washcloth over the first set when you turn the others. You can alst spritz the air with water before you close the lid I've had some success with this method.

6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    cammy.I am not to sure about that one. I dont have another incubator.Or i wouldnt be doing it this way. DO you have another suggestion?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Or, maybe you can make an incubator within the incubator? A shoebox with a plastic window for the hatching eggs. You would have to monitor the temp/humidity seperately, I would think....

8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:For my hatcher I just bought a LG still air for $42.00. There are some post on building an inexpensive hatcher. You might want to look at those post. They are building them for just a few dollars I think.

At this point, I would say your just going to have to take a chance that the high humidity will not damage the other eggs. Wait as long as possible before setting the new eggs. Check on the how long you can wait. Most say 10 days and then you must set them. You do not have to turn them for the first 3 days. (I don't) and all of mine have been fine so far. I'm testing eggs now, to see how long you can wait before having to set them and still have a good hatch. I set one that was 13 days old and it's doing good so far.

Maybe you could put the new eggs in a carton with some air holes so they will not get all the humidity, but it will be hard to determine the humidity that way. But, some members also do a dry hatch and do fine with it. Lockdown, in my opinion is very critical. The more you open the lid, the more humidity you release and the cell will stick to the chick, causing it not to be able to move, so therefore it can pip but it can not zip. It suctions them in. If you have to open the bator, then mist them with some warm water. Do not saturate the egg it will absorb it and can drown the chick.

Personally, I would not try it. But, if you have no other choice, then you might just have to take a chance. But, just remember, you are taking a chance on losing them.

It's best if you do not have to open the bator at all.

I do hope that you have a great hatch.

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:A regular egg turner will work for bantam eggs. I hatch Silkies all the time in a regular egg turner. I also have 6 Serama set in it, and they are doing fine. They are pretty small too.

10. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    oh ok. I will have to order one in then. But i am going to wait till spring. Christmas is around the corner. I have to hint to hubby [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by