Can I hatch ducks with chickens in a Hova Bator? I think I made a big mistake..

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I put 5 duck eggs with 16 chicken eggs all on the same day. Now there are 13 chicken eggs, few were duds. When lockdown for the chicken eggs comes by and I have to fill both water trays with water for the humidity, will the duck eggs be okay? Will that added humidity harm them in any way? I'm really looking forward to crested runner ducks.
I set the eggs on the 19th of February. Today is day 10 I think, 11 or something. I'll look at the calendar in a bit. I've candled all the eggs today and all are good. Some of the duckies are really moving around! I know I'll have to hand turn them until day ... Oh gosh. It just hit me.
When the chicken eggs go into lockdown and I take the turner out how will I turn the duck eggs? Is it okay to open up the bator during lockdown for the chickens?
sad.png
This is my first time using an incubator, I'm so used to using broodies, and my first time hatching ducks. I hope everything goes okay... Next time I'll put the duck eggs in first and after a week I'll put chicken eggs. Oh my goodness. Humidity question and now a lockdown problem. What do I do?!
sad.png

I think you will probably be alright. As long as the eggs are drying down properly now a little added humidity late in the ducks term likely wont bother them. If you take all the eggs out of the turner for the chicks to hatch the chicks will probably jostle and turn the duck eggs for you. Don't open the incubator till the chicks have all hatched. Then let the humidity drop back till you are ready to lock down the ducks. I'd probably just hand turn the duck eggs for the few days left at that point. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I just realized that I can take some of the turning racks out. So the duck eggs will still be turning and the chicken eggs will be hatching. Phew, I hope the humidity doesn't hurt them... Especially since they'll have the extra humidity for like 10 days..

Back
Top Bottom