Can I hatch eggs in towels

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kimisfishing, Nov 18, 2011.

1. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I got eggs in the mail today and now think I might want to try to hatch some. Hubby said I can use a towel and lamp. REALLY?????

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    That is a very seriously hard way to do it and I wouldn't recommend it. Did you get eggs mailed to you to eat? If you are serious about hatching you can either make a homemade bator or buy one (there are many to choose from for less than $100.).

3. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I got them to blow but feel like it would be killing them LOL
    I will make one or wait till I can then get more eggs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Well, back when I was a teenager many moons ago our broody hen was killed while she had a clutch of eggs. I brought them in, put them on a towel in a box and did put a lamp on them (they were a week from hatching and this was my spring break from school). I set my alarm for every hour 24 hours a day to check the temp. I had to dim it during the day and raise it at night. It was a pain in the butt!! I never left the house for a week. ALL the eggs hatched. It was a brutal week though and I wouldn't do it for 3 weeks!

5. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    thanks, I will not be doing that LOL hubby is crazy

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:How do you even know if they are viable eggs?

If you have the means... I would skip any fooling around with lamps and what not. It's usually a recipe for disappointment. And in todays age, why submit yourself to that?

7. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I think I will wait and get some later after I have everything I need to do it right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by