Can I have 2 roosters in the same coop with 2 hens?

HenriettaBB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
One of my roosters ran away so we got a new one but the old one came back! I only have 2 hens though (3 died:() can I keep my roosters?

If you want to keep all the current birds and are not keen on expanding your flock by another 14-18 birds, your flock will be better served by constructing a second coop/run and splitting your birds into a bachelor pad and a hen pad.

I agree with the above posts. Keeping them all in the same pen would be asking for trouble. If you can't part with one of the roosters, you need to keep them separated from the hens. Otherwise they will over-mate the hens, stress them out (possibly to the point where they won't lay for you) and fight each other, potentially to the death. A separate bachelor pad (or rehoming one) is the only way forward from here.

- Krista

Thank you for telling me :) I hate to get rid of one of my roosters but I would rather do that than have my girls upset. I thought I saw one of them losing some feathers...

If I get rid of one of my roosters and it's too late and the hens r losing their feathers will they grow back?

If I get rid of one of my roosters and it's too late and the hens r losing their feathers will they grow back?

Yes, they will.

It is a really slow process to grow feathers though so don't expect it to happen overnight. It will take many months.

Eventually though they will start to look better. And once they have their moult their feathers will fill out completely.

It's never too late, don't worry!

- Krista

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom