Can I have a 2-3 week old chick put in with day- old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Busterchicken, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Busterchicken

Busterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    The title says it all

[​IMG]
    Mystery breed, can u guess?

2. IChickenGirl

IChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Hmmm. Partridge Rock?

I would say no. They need different heating temperatures, and bullying could happen.

3. Busterchicken

Busterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    but this one is all alone and she's a bantam, whereas the day olds are standared and if she gets hot she could move away, it's a pretty big brooder

speckled sussex + american game??? Gender ideas?

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I would say they will be fine together as long as you keep an eye on them at first to make sure there's no bullying, but the age difference isn'tteally enough for pecking order problems.

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have done it... 4 week olds with 1 week olds...They do fine, I watched them for a bit.. Silly BO's kept trying to sit on the babies :)

6. gatorshark75

gatorshark75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    wewahichka, florida
    any time you put different ages together be mindful of the size difference that's all ya got to do

7. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 21 chicks and they range in age from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. I watched them when I first put them together. They did fine and are still doing fine.

8. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    [​IMG]
    I Love BO's!

9. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I'm actually going to be doing that today. Have one week old bantams and have to standards born yesterday. The newly hatched are already bigger than the others. I'm just waiting for the babies to get stable on their feet. My brooder is seven feet long and two feet wide with the heat lamp on one end. Plenty of room if someone gets too warm.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I put in the broilers and regulars together, they were a week apart- but one layer is a runt. If anything the layers use the broilers to launch themselves on top of the feeders. THe only time theres is bullying is when they are all outside in the day pen during warm weather and the pekin ducklings are in. THey will harass chickens that come to "their " side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by