1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I have a completely mixed flock?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jdc361, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    I'm New to backyard chickens and am new to chickens! I am going to get 6 chicks from tractor supply and they need to be cold hardy. Can I have six different breeds of chickens? And are white leghorns cold hardy?

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Yes, to the totally mixed flock. I'd recommend you select breeds that are similar in size and nature. I have mixed birds that include black sex links, barred rocks, delaware's, and buff orpington. All of mine do well in winter, as well.

I don't have any experience with Leghorn's but understand that they have large floppy combs that could be subject to frostbite in severe cold weather.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    I heard ThaT But can I just put Vaseline on their comb? I just want hens for eggs.

5. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    And thanks!!!

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You can have different breeds within your flock.
    What range of temperatures do you have? While leghorns are sort of hardy, their big combs are prime candidates for frostbite so I neither have nor do I want any for that reason. I prefer birds with smaller combs. There are many really cold hardy breeds. You can goggle cold hardy chickens to get some ideas, plus there are threads on here.
    Some of the ones I have or have had are:
    Easter Eggers (My favorites)
    Ameraucanas
    Jersey Giants
    buckeyes (another favorite)
    chanteclers
    marans
    I've had Rhode Island Reds in the past but I do prefer the buckeyes.
    In the winter our temps go as low as -10*.

7. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You can, but Vaseline is not a cure all, It helps, but sometimes (Often?) their combs still suffer frostbite.

8. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    We get down to -10 as well... I'm planning on buying them from tractor supply so I won't have many choices.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

yes, you can put vaseline on their combs to prevent frostbite.

10. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    While our Tractor Supply usually gets in about six different breeds at once, over the course of "chick days" they get in many more than that, a pretty good variety, including bantams and ducks. You can keep checking with them to see if they have anything you're interested in. Last year they had several types of sex links, leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, barred Plymouth rocks, light brahamas, several type of wyandottes and Cornish x's.
    I'm thinking of adding a few white egg layers(Have none) to my flock for contrast but can't decide what. Every time O come up with a breed I discard it for some reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by