Can I have the babies outside during the day.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Nov 17, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

The babies are now 5wks and going on 3wks, it's been in the low 40's upper 50's by day. Can I have the babies outside during the day as long as it's not raining or snowing and the temps don't get any lower then they already are? I won't have a pool out there with them since it will chill them. But I just wanted to know if I can have them outside for exercise and grazing.

TX

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I see you are tired of the mess! [​IMG]
    Upper 50's is ok for the 5 week old ones. The 3 weeks old ones need 65 degrees. So the answer is no. With those temps I would wait until they are 8 weeks old. This does not exclude some outdoor time. Just not all day for now.

3. FunnyBunnies12

I see you are tired of the mess!

[​IMG] Maybe:lol:

Alright, I won't let them out. Unless it does get that warm again here in Michigan and we have another Indian Summer. Which I highly doubt, but with Michigan, you never know!​

4. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    If the weather is good enough, I like to put mine outside from 2 week of age. At first it may only be for half an hour while I clean the brooders. They always have shelter and somewhere to snuggle up if they get a little cold. When they are still small I only leave them out for as long as they are playing once they settle down for a snooze I bring them back inside where it is warmer. But I feel to be outside on the grass with a little sun on them is better than being kept inside in a brooder all the time. They can at least pick at the grass and catch a few bugs or insects and go for a bit of a run.

5. FunnyBunnies12

That is basically what I'd like to do, is let them outside on sunny days just long enough to do cleaning let them get that natural sunlight/vit. D then bring them inside. Once the snow starts flying and it goes below 40 then I won't. Next week calling for somewhat of another Indian Summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by