1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I have two roos together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanielE1990, Apr 14, 2016.

1. DanielE1990

DanielE1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    East TN
    Ok I was not sure where to put this so I home this is the right spot.

Ok so I have some black australaorp chicks that are growing nicely and hope to soon have buff Orpingtons doing the same soo.

To house these I'm planning to build a new coop and run. The chickens will have to stay in it 90%+ of the time due to predators including loose dogs around me.
    I'm thinking a 4'x8' coop attached to a 12'x8' run. This would be for 6-8 hens and a roo..... or two.

That's my question. Can I have a BA and BO Rio together in these conditions with 6-7 hens or must I only have one?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    While it is possible they could get along fine, for the sake of your hens I would only keep one. That's a small number of females in a confined space. With 2 males they would likely be overbred in a short amount of time.

1 person likes this.
  3. DanielE1990

DanielE1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    East TN
    I was thinking the space or number of hens would be too small for two but thought I'd ask anyway. Tank you.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, with only 8 hens you'll want to limit your roosters to one. Or maybe none, you don't really need one and if space is tight, why feed a freeloader?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by