Can I help him/her. . . ? sad pic

bikergirl

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Eastsound, Wa
He/she is a day old, she won't/can't pull her legs underneath her. In the pics I wetted down her stomach so you can see it better

toppic.jpg

sidepic.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww, poor thing. She doesn't look quite right does she?

I just last week had one that tried so hard to get up but she just couldn't & we had to cull her. I felt so bad! But it was just no way of a life for her.
sad.png

What are you going to do? Good luck!

Awww
sad.png
Is this the pasty butt? I'm not experienced with chicks but have been reading voraciously because I intend to try to hatch a few.

If it's the pasty butt I think you can clean the vent area. I dunno though, that looks pretty bad and it's belly is awfully swolen....cries...

Hopefully someone who knows more can come along and give you some advice.

Looks like she (just remember, ALL new babies are a she unless you really want a boy
smile.png
) has spraddle leg. It can be fixed pretty easy at this age by holding her legs together under her with bandaids. Just stick them around the middle section of her thigh with the pad between her legs. It will make it pretty much impossible for her to stand for awhile so you can place her in a cup to hold her upright. Just be sure to get her out for exercise and make sure she can get to her food and water. Good luck. I have fixed a couple like this who are now healthy, egg laying adults.
smile.png
She is a cutie!!!

I thik the spradle leg is the least of your problem that can be fixed with some tape and time. I more concerned about the belly. The belly button looks pretty aweful.

Actually the belly button doesn't look that bad. Just a rough navel that looks worse because you wet it. That will dry up and fall off. Don't try to remove it yourself!!! My vote is, with a bandaid and some TLC this baby has a fighting chance.

Quote:
Yeah, it is called a rough navel. It does happen sometimes and seems to go along with other problems....like spraddle leg. Did you have some humidity issues while hatching? That always seems to cause my issues. There are some who will suggest you just cull her because you don't want weak chicks....however, I am one to give them a chance if there is one.

It looks like,the area of her belly button or where the yolk was absorbed might be infected it's so red. I had one like that and dabbed antibiotic ointment on it. You have to make sure it doesn't get dirty cuz' everything will stick to the ointment,but it worked for me. If she's not pulling her legs under her I have to wonder how bad the infection is. It's probably pretty sore... Good luck with her!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

luvmychicknkids it looked that bad be 4 I wet it down. I dont think she is going 2 make it. shes doesn't drink on her own or eat, I have to put it in her mouth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom