Can I? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakesbigpapa, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jakesbigpapa

jakesbigpapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm getting 4 silkies on Friday. They'll be a week and a half old. On Monday, I'm getting 8 chicks (3 speckled sussex, 3 golden comets, 2 EEs) that will be 2 days old. Can I brood them together?

2. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    You shouldn't have any problems brooding them together.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, you can brood them together. I've never had any problems brooding different breeds of chicks together.

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Some people have problems with bantams getting trampled in the same brooder as full sized breeds, but if the silkies are older, then it should be fine. Supervise at first, of course.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    As long as the chicks are in the same "generation", they should have no problems! The chicks I get are usually different ages at the time of bringing them home (they're a mixed lot at the feed store) and if they grow up together they don't really notice. :lol:

6. haroldsmith

haroldsmith New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Generally brooding them together does not cause a problem but it even depends on how old are they and what is the environment around them.

Granite Countertops

7. xxxgeorgiexxx

xxxgeorgiexxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Wales
    yes you can brood them together if you are worried then just check them for the first hour or so

8. jakesbigpapa

jakesbigpapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Thanks everyone. That's what I figured. I thought that it would be okay, particularly because the silkies are a little older than the other chicks I'm getting next week. As for keeping an eye on them, I took a personal day next week, the first day that they'll be together, so I can make sure all goes well.

BYC is the best...TY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by