Can I hold you in my arms!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Our Roost, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Getting mixed bag on if we can pick up our chicks and fondle them. Some are saying it could cause death from overhandling the chicks. Help on this topic!

2. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I've had my hands on my chicks in some cases from the second they were born because they I hatched them in my hand. I handle all my birds from the minute i get them and at night when I put everyone to bed i try to touch everyone I can reach. to me the more you handle them the calmer they are and the easier they are to handle.

3. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    How old are they? From everything I have read, you should let them get used to their surroundings for a few days (not sure how long you have had them) and resist picking them up. Then after a few days start slowly putting your hand in the roost, and talk to them so they get used to you. They will start coming around your hand and pecking you. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt! Then you can start putting food in your hand and they will eat it. My chicks are just under 2 weeks, I have had them since Saturday and they are just getting used to me putting my hand in and they don't scatter to all corners. Be patient and good luck!!

4. jenna76

jenna76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    We have touched, handled, played with, talked to, sung to, our chickens since they were 24hrs old. We give them all the same attention, some love it, some dont. But they dont get a say so in it. We have chickens aged 5yrs(adoptees) and down and we have done the same with all of them.
    We have some chicks that behave like pups and when you call them they come running, want to be picked up and petted. While we have others that want nothing to do with all that mess..
    We have over 30 chickens now, have not lost one and they are all healthy, happy unique little critters..AND we have 20 more on the way on the 25th of this month and we will do exactly the same thing with them.

---We have one baby named Stripe(Bantam Frizzle) that will fly up and cuddle in the crook of your arm.

I suppose its a matter of perspective, and you can read or try it out all on your own. I dont know if there is a wrong way. We love our kiddos (critters) and seem to be on a good run!

Good LUCK!
    J

5. chickmom1304

chickmom1304 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    SE Wisconsin
    I am 1 week new at this, however, all that I have researched here, tells me to love 'um up! My 6 are 10 days old and thriving. They are all handled, even if just a touch, several times daily. They don't like to be swooped on from above, but will now come and eat feed right from my hand. My kids are older, so no risk of squeezing too hard, and I certainly monitor all activity near the brooder.

6. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Wow! Am I ever glad I asked. I got my initial information from Kimberly Willis, Detroit Country Examiner article. I'am elated on your responses verses hers. We cant wait to get these 25 new chicks and love them to death! We have names picked out, but wont know whos who as they will all look alike except for there coloring. Thanks bunches!

7. jenna76

jenna76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    You will know. Amazingly these little guys all have different personalities..you will be able to tell them apart in no time :)

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    From day one I handle everyday. My one year olds are all lap chickens. The more you handle, the friendlier they are.

I handled the more skittish ones more and it worked well. I love my lap chickens.

9. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I handled mine from after they fluffed out in the incubator before going into the brooder. I had a heating pad and made a little tent on my stomach and sheltered them with my hand. I wanted them to smell/feel me first before coming into contact with anything/anyone else. They are now three weeks and the love me. I can make kissing sounds and they come to me. They will fly onto my hands, arms and shoulders.

Today while trying to get them out of their coop into the chicken tractor, Coconut decided to fly up on me and perch on my back and shoulders while handling the other birds. So, to me the more you handle them the more sociable with you they will be. I take occasions to talk to, pet and hold them whenever I can. And I use the kissing sound specifically to call them, to train them to come to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by