Can I house 6 week olds with 3 day olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ec_Prokta, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Just wondering. The 6 week olds are going without heatlamp, and on developer ration.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im new to chickens but Im guessing the bigger ones would , hurt , pickon or simply just walk all over the little ones.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not. They can and will peck the little guys.

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i suggest not even when having bantam with standard size chicks of same age the standard would trample the bantams, i lost my only silkie this way, so i think having this much of a spread is like the same thing, the smaller ones will just get trampled not to mention pecked ot death

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'd let the little peeps get some growth, strength, & health before mixing them in with the older ones. They're just so vulnerable at that age, to injury as well as illness. It would be like putting newborn babies in a preschool class.

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Nooooooo especially without heat. I consider myself the queen of chick mixing, but thats just too much of a difference. throw your little un's in a cardboard box with a light.

7. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Okay, thanks!

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Bock_Bock sorry that you lost your silkie that way, but I always keep my bantams and standard shicks together. Ive never had any problems.
    Tio, thats to much age difference to keep them together.

9. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    from what I've read on here the rule of thumb is do not house anyone that is not within three weeks of each other. also 3 day olds would definately need heat

10. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:Bock_Bock sorry that you lost your silkie that way, but I always keep my bantams and standard shicks together. Ive never had any problems.
    Tio, thats to much age difference to keep them together.

thanks i believe it was because it was my only silkie well only bantam and it was sorda lonely as was by itself as the standars were all together it was sad but i got another 15 or so bantam in my bator due to hatch on tuesday so hope this wil be better YaY i cant wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by