1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I house different types of quail together? ??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RaynBO, Mar 4, 2013.

1. RaynBO

RaynBO New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    California
    I have 1 bobwhite and 25 coturnix. I don't know if they are regular size or jumbo, I see some are bigger . Will they cross breed?

2. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    I have jumbo coturnix but my father-in-law gave me a Texas A&M male because he didn't have anywhere to put him. I saw him making 'frisky' with one of my females and I have gotten 2 solid white eggs recently. I don't know if they're fertile yet, I just put them in my incubator. The only thing I can think is that white Texas A&M made my hens lay white eggs. I'm still newish to raising quail but I never got a solid white egg until I put him in my pen. So to stop rambling and answer your question, yes, I think they can cross breed. Lol

3. RaynBO

RaynBO New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    California
    I am new to this also.
    Interesting. I get a lot of white eggs I have put them in the incubator and so far none have hatched. I have a few in there now so will know by the 12-13th if the whites hatch.

4. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    I have had white eggs but chick came out brown

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    They are white because of the hen not painting spots on them. Not because of the Texas A&M. They lay spotted eggs to.

6. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Texas A&M are just a different color of Coturnix. Like I am a brunette with brown eyes and my husband is a blonde with green eyes. We still manage to produce......

7. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    So what makes a quail lay those random white eggs then. Deficiency?

8. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    If you pickle eggs. You will see that the spots are just "paint" it floats off within minutes of being in the vinegar. Its camo really. I imagine its she just missed a step. Like a shell less egg.

9. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    So it's nothing like lack of protein or calcium or something like that? Jus curious?

10. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Not that I can tell. Mine have free choice oyster shell and high protein game bird feed. Suet coated boss and thistle seed. Chicken scratch. Fresh fruit and greens. Today they had left over spagetti and mealworms. I cant see it being a deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by