Can I house other birds with quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nunie, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Nunie

Nunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Lets say I have a large aviary with coturnix quail, could I house other types of birds in there too (providing there is ample space for them)? Would doves be fine with quail, or perhaps birds that are more partial to being in the air rather than on the ground? Or should quail generally be housed only with quail for health reasons or something along those lines?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    With a large aviary, dove species can be housed with quail. Most finch species as well. Cockatiels and canaries also. Many people would say no to cockatiels but I have found them to be very nonagressive towards other bird species. However, their chewing on things might/would cause a problem. There are many species that are not aggressive towards other species.

3. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Thanks for the info! I recognize you from the Serama thread :D

It's good to know there are plenty of options to choose from! That way I can adopt a couple birds in need of homes, to share my future quails habitat, if I have the space to build a nice aviary!

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Even little serama hens could share space with coturnix quail. Not sure about roosters though.

5. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    My serama will probably be housed inside and taken out daily to forage and get fresh air, probably in their own run that I can move around. That way I can keep a couple roosters and not worry about noise complaints with their little crows! These are all just plans anyway, sadly I won't be able to set anything in stone for a few more years at the earliest. :(

I thought some flying birds would be nice with the quail though, since the quail will mostly occupy the floor space of the aviary. I think having some serama hens in there, tiny as they are, would make the floor space a bit more crowded. [​IMG] I might not even do quail though, I haven't really decided, to be honest.

I'd like to have them as a food source for myself and mostly for my cats (and future dogs) but I couldn't do the killing and processing myself. So, I figured when the time comes, and I've moved into a place in the US, I would ask around/post and see if there is anyone in my area who'd be willing to kill and process quail in return for some of the birds. As in, I raise the birds, give the "butcher" 20 birds and they process them in return for keeping 1/3 or half the processed birds, or somewhere along those lines. That way I don't have to "get my hands dirty" and the surrogate-butcher gets something in return for his/her work! If nobody wants to do it, maybe I'd just keep a few as pets and for the nice quail eggs.

6. tassiehens

tassiehens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    If you put chickens and a couple of quails together would the chickens not be friendly to the quails?

7. contactvidura

contactvidura Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Sri Lanka
    DONT DO IT. it is a fact that having quail around chickens can prove deadly via disease...

8. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Button quail do well in mixed aviaries. But of course they are not suitable for meat and eggs.

9. PoultryPunk

PoultryPunk New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    North Texas
    I am learning too, what about Guineas? How do they do with quail?

10. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    I have raised both species, but never together. I never considered it. I have seen guineas find and devour baby mice and rats. I have seen a flock of guineas rip a weasel to shreds. I would not advice keeping guineas with a weaker smaller specie.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by