Can I improve the white colour on my Pekin/Cochin??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by me and my marans, Aug 10, 2010.

1. me and my marans

me and my marans In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    Hi all,

I have entered my white bantam Pekin/Cochin cock into a local poultry show,
    the show is 3 weeks away now, and i have been washing him every week for the last two weeks and the feathers on his legs are still a shade more browner than his body, he has been freeranging with his hens for the past 2 months so that i can get fertile eggs, now he is indoors untill the show, can someone please give me some tips on making the feathers more white??

Many thanks in advance,

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Hello, I breed White cochins and keeping them clean is always a project lol. I never let mine free range not even months before a show. Only After the shows are done . When I bath them i have an extra tub with a bleach solution (mild) that helps to whiten them. Make sure its not strong and do this a couple days before the show so he can replenish his oil in his feathers. On the days leading up to the show (after his bath) keep him in a cage by himself, making sure to clean up poop as much as you can and replacing shavings. This way he won't be skittish on show day(s) and he will look A+. I also never feed corn when there molting or in summer. Just in cold winter :)

3. me and my marans

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info,

do you think that white vinegar would work? or would that just make the poor fella stink? lol

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Hmm Ive Never tried it, Im not too sure . But i think the final rinse would take the stink off , you could try it, and if you dont like you can try the bleach [​IMG]

5. me and my marans

Dec 27, 2009
    I will have a trial run on one of the white hens and then if it goes well try it on the rooster!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do not use bleach! If anything, bleach is likely to yellow the feather, as well as burn it. White vinegar is very helpful. Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is helpful, and I've heard that Tide with bleach alternative is good, but have not used it.

7. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry to say that if he's been out free ranging those feathers are stained, and no amount of washing will get it entirely out, no matter what you do. I wouldn't use bleach either. Cowboy Magic does work pretty well but with stained feathers I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you are going to show feather legged whites, you'll need to keep them out of direct sunlight and off the ground. Putting them out on the grass (after it's dry in the morning) is okay, but if they are going to be out on the ground everyday, there's no way to keep the foot feathers and undercarriage from getting stained. With my white birds I've used Bluing as well as Tide w/Bleach alternative, the latter recommended by a fellow breeder. If you use Bluing you need to be careful. Too much and you'll wind up with lovely shade of light purple. Normally the vinegar would be used in the first rinse bucket to cut the soap suds, as opposed to an additive to get the stains out.

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Here is my routine:

1. Warm water bath to help loosen dirt, muck, etc.

2. Use a moisturizing shampoo to help break up even more of the dirt.

3. Use bluing solution (can be purchased almost anywhere, especially farm stores and maybe even Wal-Mart). It's usually near the laundry supplies.

4. Only use a SMALL amount of the bluing solution. Holy cow. A little goes a LONG way. Use too much and your bird WILL be purple.

5. Do not expect miracles...white birds are a constant thing. You either keep them white or deal with the yellowing. Feed less corn, more BOSS.

10. chicken burger

chicken burger Songster

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi folks. I stumbled apon this thread when I did a search. I have a question.
    I have recently baught 2 Pekin Cochins. White. The hen is gorgious. I gave her a bath and she is a lovely white. the rooster has yellow tinge to his neck feathers. I did bath him, but he is still very yellowish. Is that the colour of his feathers or is it stained somehow. will it help if I bath him some more?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by