Can I Incubate Call Duck Eggs Chicken Eggs at the Same Time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Feb 9, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would like to throw them all in the bator at once. Is this possible? Are settings any different for the ducks?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Personally I wouldn't do it. Call duck eggs are hard enough to hatch when they're the only ones in the bator.

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Why are they hard to hatch?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't know but they are. Even eggs from my own pen, not shipped, didn't use to hatch well for me. I haven't even tried for a long time....I leave them with the mama and let them hatch them out and then I take and raise them.

5. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I have hatched ducks and chickens together and have had a good hatch but it really is better to separate the hatch, ducks require a higher humidity than chickens plus ducks take longer to incubate and you end up with baby chicks climbing all over your ducks then you need to clean the incubator after the chicken hatch and maintain heat and humidity for the ducks. It's possible but really not worth it, separate them and you can sit back and enjoy without the stress!![​IMG]

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    They aren't *hard to hatch* per se.

They are just hard to hatch in small, cheap incubators that struggle to maintain the very high humidity required.

Duck eggs also benefit from a slight cooling each day, which makes it even harder to hold the humidity level.

Pop them in a Sportsman, they will hatch just fine [​IMG]

7. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    timeing timeing timeing ducks hatch in 28 days chicks in 21 days stop truning chicks on day 18 so they can prepare for hatch ducks on day 25 so if you start the ducks six days before the chickens they should hatch at the same time with out a lot of fuss i did this once with turkeys and chicks with no problem.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Call ducks are harder than a lot of other duck breeds to hatch.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Call ducks are harder than a lot of other duck breeds to hatch.

They are alot harder to hatch, as they are pushed to such a small extreme. They have short beaks, short necks, and round heads, which means that they can pip the air sac, but have a hard time pipping the shell.

10. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    So it sounds like I better find some call ducks already hatched & ready to go. Thanks for all the input! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by