Can I integrate a young pullet with an older roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpeckledPullet, Dec 20, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I have a 10 week old pullet who is by herself and I also have a year old roo who is by himself. With a decent sized pen, could I safely allow these two to be together? Or is it more likely that the roo would hurt the pullet?

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't recommend it. Ive never had a roo, but if the hen is only 10 weeks, i'd be a little weary. Hopefully someone more experienced comes along

3. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    She might actually be 12 weeks. I am not 100% sure as I didn't hatch her. I'd say she is 10-12 weeks, but the roo is right around a year. Either way, she is definitely young. [​IMG]

I can keep them apart; that won't be an issue. I had just hoped that with winter here they could pair up and help keep each other warm. However, I worry the roo might be too domineering.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    They should be alright... He knows she is a girl... Most roosters are polite enough...Mine are... He will know when it is mating time..much better than you and I.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by