Can I Intergrate 10 Wk.old Pullets?

lauriruth

Songster
11 Years
Jul 10, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas
I bought 3 "pullets" from BYC. They are now 10 wks. old. One turns out Roo and is being re-homed next weekend. I'm trading him for a 10-wk.old RIR/X pullet. After 3--day confinment, are they still young enough to put in the same coup, or will i have problems? Or, should I just try it and watch carefully?
hmm.png

hello,
i have read and heard that night introductions are the way to go. stress level might be down that way too.
is your coop large enough to seperate thru fencing inside? so the intro is slow?
if you free range, thats an idear too, letting the introduction be easier? good luck.

I have mixed results in all such attempts. My older hens are so darned domineering. I've tried all the typical things.
I suspect different breeds have different attitudes. My red hens will absolutely pound on younger rivals.
One thing for sure, 10 week old pullets are out gunned and out sized. Sorry, I have little wisdom here.
sad.png

They're really too young to do that. And if you bring in another bird from elsewhere, that one should be quarantined for a month before you put it in with any other birds. Even a week old baby can pass disease.

Back
Top Bottom