Can i introduce 15 week old chickens to 24 week old chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Helenambm10, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Helenambm10

Helenambm10 In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2018
    Hudson, NH
    I need to introduce 3- 15 week old Asian Blacks that I need to introduce them to my flock of 7-24 week olds(2 barred Plymouth’s, 2 orpingtons, one Rhode Island Red, and 2 EEs) would their age gap cause fights?

2. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    If you integrate slowly, there shouldn’t be any problems.
    Good luck!

JedJackson likes this.
  3. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Probably. The fact that they are different breeds might be more important.
    I have sisters with a few months age gap fighting. Nobody dies, the eldest just bullies the younger. It's what chickens do.;)

puffypoo, JedJackson and Helenambm10 like this.
  4. Helenambm10

Helenambm10 In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2018
    Hudson, NH
    Alright cool thanks

Shadrach and JedJackson like this.
  5. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    just make sure their environment has plenty of non dead end hiding spots, dark areas, and extra feeders/waterers. They will likely fight a bit but if they have places lay low and access to water while laying low they will eventually co-exist. If they are free ranging then it will likely be very easy.

Helenambm10, Melky, puffypoo and 2 others like this.
  6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Yes, and all of the advice you've gotten so far is excellent. I think you are better off introducing the newbies now, rather than later. In my experience, the older they are, the more difficult it becomes to add new birds.

aart, Helenambm10, Shadrach and 2 others like this.
  7. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I would make sure you respect the 30 day quarantine first as well when adding to your flock especially since young chickens are in your flock who would be most at risk when adding new members.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Integrating any birds will likely cause some fighting.

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Integration Basics:
    It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
    Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
    Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
    Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

JedJackson likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: