1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I introduce a baby goose to my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RavenStorm, Aug 25, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    The other day I posted that my new fuzzy butts had just completely eaten out all of their feed. Well I managed to hold them off till today when my DBF went to the feed store on his lunch break. Well he came back with more than just feed, his heart melted when he saw a long little gosling and he remembered that I had mentioned geese being used to protect chickens so he picked her up. I am already asking for advice in one of the other boards, but I wanted to ask you guys if I could put my little goose in with my new chicks.

They are the same age (almost 2 weeks), I think the brooder is big enough (it's an unused bathtub), they are eating the same food, I just want to know if they will pick on each other or if the gosling is too messy/wet for the health of the chicks. If I can mix them, how should I go about the introductions? I really can't have the goose by itself because she cries if she can't see me.

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I would say that you can try, but in my experience, ducks and geese pick on chicks that are smaller than themselves.

3. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Yeah, so far when I put a few of the chicks in with the gosling they stare at each other for a long time and then the gosling nips at their wing/tail/toes and the chicks freak out. I am starting to think that I should put up a see-through divider in the brooder so that it can't hurt my chicks but it won't scream so much from being lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by