Can I Introduce a chick after one died the same day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickonInc, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    We had a 6 month old chicken get killed by a hawk. My hen whoopie, her best friend died from a hawk too. We have a hardware store which sells female chicks all year round with like 40 breeds. I'd like to get a barred rock, my hen is a jeresey giant and I want her to be happy. My other 6 month old is a baby silkie hen and the chicken that died was her best friend too. Will this chick make everyone happy?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A little chick will get finished off Quick when introduced to adult hens. You will need to raise it to an appropriate size so she can run away if danger nears. Just a reality when introducing new members. Get a large pullet and the transition will be easier. The jersey giant by its pure large size, would finish chick in no time.
    Hope this helps you. [​IMG]

3. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    We have a hen which would take it in. She raised the the 6 month old and is still raising it. She takes in abandoned chicks too.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    JUST GREAT. You have a real motherly kind. My suggestion is you get 2 little chicks. Its not like one extra is going to overcrowd you.
    WISHING YOU THE BEST. I know how it is to loose to hawks. Been there.
    [​IMG]

5. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    thx, i should get another. But, my hen went broody and the silkie chicks should hatch soon. I'll put one of them with my new chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by