Can I introduce a Duck to my chooks? Will they like each other?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lynnybabe, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Lynnybabe

Lynnybabe New Egg

May 17, 2012
    I have 4 lovely chookies, who are tame and special members of our family. I have always wanted a couple ducks but I am afraid the chooks might be nasty. Years ago we had a very special Indian Runner who had full reign of the yard, but one of our Chickens (a silkie) began pecking Duckie's feet which made me very upset. No blood was drawn, and Duckie didn't seem too bothered but I was very upset with the chicken for being nasty to the Duckie.

I'd love to introduce another duck or two but only if I'm assured there would be harmony in the Chook house.

Can't wait to hear from you all...

Thanks!

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Welcome to BYC [​IMG] from San Diego. I dont have ducks but want them eventually.

I do know that ducks have different housing requirements... and they need to be able to submerse their Bills occasionally to clean out thier nostrils. they dont roost and they make a mess in the coop which should be kept dry. So having a yard for them with a shelter is what I have seen others do.

With regard to the silkys pecking at feet. I wouldnt worry. Silkeys couldnt do any damage. And as long as the duck doesnt seem bothered....

I am sure the Duck owners here would chime in and tell me I am wrong... LOL.

For what its worth I want Muscovys.... but thats a whole other discussion.

deb

3. Lynnybabe

Lynnybabe New Egg

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for that Deb, yes I did intend to have separate housing and water accessible for a duckie to ensure their happiness and well being. They sure do love water!!! And I appreciated hearing that you didn't think their would be a problem with a chook pecking. Our old duck did seem quite indifferent so that is a good thing. My motherly instincts were wanting to protect a precious little duckie from harm. I had a Muscovy when I was a girl, they're soooo lovely!!

cheers, Lynny :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by