1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Can I introduce a new rooster???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by runswithbuffalo, Apr 6, 2018.

1. runswithbuffalo

runswithbuffalo Chirping

Jul 22, 2012
    Hello all!

This winter I lost my favorite roo-roo, a Light Brahma, Braack O'Brahma.:(He was almost 6 years old. I have a flock of mixed breed hens with two 2 year old banty roos (hatched here), 8 banty hens and 12 hens (leghorns, easter eggers, andalusians, wyandotte, etc. The banty's all hang together and adventure outside the chicken yard in a little group, but my other hens are missing their big roo. They have a huge chicken yard and need the protection from hawks. Braack O'Brahma did such a great job protecting his girls!!!
    So, I would love to add another big roo to keep a watch over my hens, but don't know if it is possible to do so. I keep watching Craigslist and see so many roos needing a home, but I don't know if the other little roos would beat him up.

Thoughts from the eggsperts???:D

Jessie

2. Goose girl1

Goose girl1 Chirping

Nov 1, 2017
    Canberra, Australia.
    There is always a bit of peking order to be sorted out at first but if he's a bigger rooster he should be fine with smaller roosters especially if there all nice.:D

runswithbuffalo likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 7 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It depends. The best way to add roosters is to raise straight run chicks and pick one or more cockerels to keep as possible replacements for your lost boy. That way they will integrate better, and are less likely to cause issues with your adult roos.
    You can try to bring in an outside bird, but it's a much bigger disease risk for your flock, and more likely, IMO, to be a problem with your little roosters.
    Mary

runswithbuffalo likes this.
  4. runswithbuffalo

runswithbuffalo Chirping

Jul 22, 2012
    That was what I was thinking :( Thank you Mary and Goose Girl! I am not ready for more hens, so will have to wait until next year.

Thanks again!!!!

Jessie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: