Can i introduce a rescue/adopted chicken to an older one?

thebirdwoman

Hatching
Oct 1, 2019
Right now we only have one chicken, the other one passed away a few months ago and she looks so lonely and i know chickens are very social creatures but i know that i need to be careful introducing a new bird. Pumpkin is atleast 4 or 5 years old, so i would look for an older bird but i could use some advice! I just moved into the house and ive never taken care of chickens really before but i love them

Well, it might be hard to find an older bird. Regardless what you find, Pumpkin is not going to like the newcomer for a while. But I do agree that it would be better for her in the long run. I would look for some point of lay birds, or pullets, and I would want to add two birds.

Adding a single bird is very hard, but one on one, is better. However, if your bird is 4-5 years old, I would expect that there is a very real possibility that her time is nearly up. So if you only add a single bird, you would be back in the same place as you are now.

A lot depends on your set up. Can you post pictures? It can help with the advice.

Mrs K

I just moved into the house and ive never taken care of chickens really before
So the chickens came with the new house?
Do you really want to keep chickens?

Welcome to BYC! @thebirdwoman
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-2_6-35-2.png

Back
Top Bottom