Can I introduce new chicks to my three week old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new_chickees, Apr 22, 2019.

1. new_chickees

new_chickees In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2019
    I have 4 chicks right now but only one girl. They are all 3 weeks old. I am only keeping one (the girl) and the rest are going to live with a friend with a big farm. I would like a couple more but can only have girls (no crowing in our neighborhood). I can get sexed chicks today but can I introduce them without any issue to my little clutch? Anything special I should do?

2. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    I have six four week old Barred Rocks I ended up with seven more 3 light brahmas, 3 porcelain Mille D’Uccles and a white silkie...I put the brahmas in with the four week old BR and didn’t have an issue...they all get along and act like normal chickens...the bantams and silkie are in their own brooder they just sooo small...but the brahmas are almost as big as BR already I’m betting within the week or so the brahmas are bigger...I would go ahead and try watch em for awhile you’ll be able to tell fairly quickly if it’s gonna work...can always try the see but no touch for a few days too if ur concerned the older ones are too big or end up picking on the little ones ...good luck !!! I suppose another thought is quarantine but if you trust ur sources I don’t usually concern myself with all that

new_chickees and Sherloki like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the newer chicks are very young, I would brood them by themselves until they are a week or so old - when they are stronger and more mobile before integrating.

new_chickees likes this.
  4. Sherloki

Sherloki Songster

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    You can try it and watch closely to see if there's any issues, and remove the new chicks if there are. I would think it would be fine especially if there's several of the new chicks, but it's hard to say for sure. I have several chicks of varying ages (21 in total) and they're all doing fine together.

AngieMaesChix and new_chickees like this.
  5. new_chickees

Apr 4, 2019
    would it make sense to separate the hen from her brothers and just put her in a brooder with the new chicks? Since she the only one that’s staying?

6. Sherloki

Sherloki Songster

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    That might make things a little bit easier for both parties, having only one larger bird with the smaller ones may make it less likely they’ll get picked on. Additionally if you can get older chicks from the feedstore that might help- sometimes they’ll have week old chicks or a little older. I think it’s ublikely there will be any real issues, but watch closely when you introduce them, you may even see the little ones run up and snuggle with your older puller. Our littlest chick kept trying to get under our bigger ones like she would a mother.

I have a 3-4 week old Wyandotte in with chicks ranging from about 1-3 weeks and she doesn’t bother any of the little ones any more than the larger ones- but she had decided she is the boss of all of them and will “fight” with any who test her leadership. That said none of them have been hurt and the worst I’ve seen is knocking birds off a roost.

new_chickees likes this.
  7. new_chickees

Apr 4, 2019
    thank you! I will try getting a couple older chicks and separate them then :)

Sherloki and AngieMaesChix like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: