1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I just raise my ducks on a dirt floor?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlsessed, Apr 29, 2012.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    That is, inside their coop. thanks

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Probably best not to because they mess and you'll have a hard job cleaning that and keeping it disease free. Straw/shavings/bedding can be raked out.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    By the way, if there is not a deep foundation around it, a predator could dig under and into the coop with a dirt floor.

4. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    You could put some hay down to bring warmth and make clean up a heck of a lot easier!
    If I were you, I would not leave them with a dirt floor. Like Amiga said, a predator could easily dig under that and right into your coop!
    It only takes one raccoon to wipe out your entire flock!

5. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    Ours have a dirt floor. We dug a trench around the edges and put down hardware cloth to deter burrowers. We cover the dirt with hay and change out the hay every few weeks.

6. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yes, I planed on putting wire around to deter digging predators. But instead of digging a trench and burying it, I was just going to lay it horizontal on the grounds surface, and attach it to the shelter that way.

7. alscatS

alscatS Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Maryland
    i am thinking of a new place for the ducks and a dirt floor, but NOT plain dirt, bedding ect. will be placed down, just not a wood floor. Constructed more like a mini barn, as I have seen a lot of people mention their ducks are in their barn at night in empty stall....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by