Can I just staple gun the linoleum down?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amartinlb, Apr 18, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I really don't want to bother with glue and adhesives. I am a disaster with that stuff and I think you need to use a roller to press it down. I found home depot sells a roll of linoleum for $40. Would just like to unroll it and staple down. Would that work? The bottom of my shed is pressed plywood? The kind you can see the fibers. I have minimal experience doing any of this stuff. Should we put a coat of porch paint in first or is that overkill? Thanks Anna [​IMG]

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I stapled mine down and it worked perfect. I didn't want the chemical odor of adhesive around the chickens. Works great.[​IMG]

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I was going to do the same thing. It's easier, no fumes, no mess, and you can easily pull it up later and change it out if you need to.

4. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    ANother good point. I had to rip out the first lino laid so I could disinfect after a disease outbreak. Much easier to peel out.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I used the nails that have the waterproof washers on it. They work like a charm.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    You could staple is down before you put the walls up, then it would be seamless.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If your flooring sheet is not inclined towards curliness, staplegunning works ok. (Try to angle or stagger the staples so you are not creating a "perforated line" at the edge of the sheet though).

My preference is to use staples to get it tacked well in place, then screw through metal or wood battens with silicone caulk underneath them (all around the edges, and on any seams on the floor). Any caulk protruding from crack is struck off flush, so all it's doing is occupying the space under the batten so mites can't. This seems to last better for me than just staples alone (which I do have, and it seems to get curly-uppy around the edges after a while, alhtough maybe this is just me and my particular vinyl)

I would not personally put it down under the bottoms of the walls (i.e stapling it down before putting the walls on)... it will make it impossible to fully replace if that's ever necessary, and may create a conduit in which water can wick in from the outside to get trapped between vinyl and plywood and start rotting things out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by