Can I just tube feed duramycin dose? How many mg?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
I have a year old EE who has the worst CRD symptoms in my flock. Everyone else has only had sneezes, but she gets the worst of it with coughing included. I'm trying to give her some antibiotic, and since the others aren't showing serious symptoms I isolated her. Well, she's going nuts. She has terrible cage syndrome/pacing, doesn't want to eat or drink when she's separated, and when I tried putting her in our mini coop-in-progress, she ate and drank (because she could see the flock), but now she's pacing the inside of the coop where she can see the others.

Is there a way to just give her a dose daily and keep her with the rest of the flock? Right now I fear her stress is preventing her from experiencing the full effect of the medication and that she isn't getting enough. How many mg for a 6lb bird would be required?

If you have Duramycin 10....at the 400mg dose is 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water. Make a fresh batch daily. Treat for 7-14 days. The withdrawal period is 21 days after last use.
Since the rest of your chickens are sneezing and it's not environmental related, why not treat them all.....
You're correct, stressing her more will make matters worse.

Because if I treat them all I will have no eggs for a month, and we need those eggs. Everyone was treated at the first instance of it, but this hen has worse symptoms then everyone else for some reason. I've got her set up in our future banty coop now, which isn't completely done, but she's able to see the flock and is less stressed now. I just wish she could mingle with everyone else instead of being cooped up by herself. Ah well, we're 3 days into the dose anyway, 4 more days of being separated for part of the day (i let her out to free range with the others and turn off their waterer) won't kill her.

Back
Top Bottom