Can I just vent? Dead chicks.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sommrluv, May 30, 2010.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Well, our run is apparently Fort Knox for our chickens, but not quite for our chicks. After we'd been out the day we let our dogs out to run and sat down to a late dinner. We left the door open so they could enjoy the rest of the day after being inside for 5 hours.

My terrier, who has the most awful prey drive I've ever seen in a little animal, came in bouncing about, all proud of herself and panting. I think we were just to distracted. She was so hot I just assumed she was running and got up, gave her some ice cubes, and sat back down.

The phone than rang, our neighbor tells me I have chickens running around the driveway. My husband runs out and it's a bloodbath. She killed three out of five, and the two that are left are our suspected males. They were 10 weeks old and this was the first week they were in the run with the other chickens, and were doing surprisingly well. They were beautiful Buff Orps who ran to me and sat on my shoulder. [​IMG]

It looked like all three's necks were broken.

I've looked and looked, and there is one very small spot that the chickens either got out of, or were pulled out of.

I'm just so angry and heartbroken.

My dog has also broken the fence in the last week and roamed the neighborhood (she's an escape artist of the umpteenth degree), killed a rabid animal and I ended up having to go through a course of rabies shots, and there's just an endless pile of songbirds, mice, groundhogs, etc. Her killing has gone up 100 times in the last two months, and now I'm worried...she's killing bigger animals. Our neighbors have goats, and horses and people down the street free range chickens full time. I'm more worried at this point of the damage she'll do, versus her getting hurt.

And I don't have the ability to raise more chickens from chicks...it was really draining and I'm sick, and I scheduled it for a time my husband was around more.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. RebekahNicole

RebekahNicole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I hope you can find a solution to your problem.

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Sorry to hear about you chickens. It's frustrating.

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. It sounds like your dog needs to be confined when not supervised. Some dogs just do have that strong a prey drive, and there isn't much you can do about it, but protect the other animals. Good luck with your animals, I hope you find a solution you can be comfortable with.

5. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I'm mad at myself...I'm the first one to well, I guess there's no better word...judge someone who can't control or fence their dog.

I've trained quite a few dogs, and I have two angels, and this one. I've literally seen her climb a fence. It's like she has a little too much wild in her.

6. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    I am so sorry.
    I had a terrier mix, I had to rehome her, I called her a Terrorerier. I had an older dog and Jinnee..... the name was a word for Jinn.... this is where Geni in a bottle came from.......... and it's said that when a Jinn is good, it's very very good, and when a Jinn is bad................WATCH OUT..............., attacked my older dog every chance she got, and was really hurting her, I got badly bitten, got my hands where they shouldn't have been trying to break up a fight, that was my 1st dog bite ever, crunched my hand.
    I've had wolf dogs for many years that have to insitinct to run if they are let loose. I went to the hardware store and bought some mid-weight cable, a pulley, some cable clamps, chain, s-hooks, and a snap, and made a run, one end secured to my cabin, the other to a tree. I didn't even have to go outside in the cold winter to let the dogs out, I could do it all from inside where it's warm. I say go to the hardware store...................WallyWorld has runs, you'll pay more for them there, and the plastic coated cable is crap , in my opinion. I don't know if this is an option for containing the dog, just an idea, they can get plenty of exercise and still be kept where you want them.
    You must be heart-broken and I feel for you, do what you have to do, sometimes doing that can be the hardest thing you've ever had to do, but do it, and in the end.................. I promise, you'll have no regrets.

7. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you, that's a good idea, the run. We are considering at this point re-homing her. She likes to play, but she's rough...My 85 pound lab gets plenty of bites and scratches from her.

She's about 4, I wonder if that's similar to a terrible two in dog years? I actually don't think it's even a part of training, it's just as if she's full of instinct, no impulse control. My presence doesn't deter her unless I'm actively walking with her. Often I'll be in the veg. garden and I'll hear her scaring the chickens. We're going to spend the weekend figuring out what is best. Thanks for all the words of kindness & advice.

Well, for fun, here are some pictures. Cookie is the black & white dog. Muffin is our lab/mastiff, Milk is Cookie's sister.

[​IMG]

Cookie being cookie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I forgot....we even had to have the vet remove quills from her once (porcupine?) and she had eye surgery from an injury from going after an animal. So it's not new...just seriously escalated in the last couple months.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  10. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like this is just one of those accidents/learning experiences to me. I have a dog with a high prey drive, and certainly she would kill every chicken she could get a hold of. If she were to encounter loose chickens, she would do the same thing as your dog. I'm thinking you should just get electric for your fence or figure out why your pen failed and repair it so that is doesn't happen again.

BTW, have you owned terriers before? They are not always the best dogs for people who are not up to the challenge of thier level of intelligence, determination and prey drive. Maybe a training course would help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by