Can I keep 1-2 month olds in the basement in a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brahmamomma, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    my chicks are coming first week march, i plan on keeping them in the office for the first month or so, but i am in the northwest and will not have electricity run to the coop outside till it warms more, so i was wondering if it is ok to move them to the basement after cause everyone tells me it is going to smell. however, i will keep a clean brooder, but this is my first time, and everyone says dust gets everywhere. i do laundry in the basement so i know i will still go down and socialize with them, i just worry about proper ventilation. maybe im being a worry-wart, but if someone can let me know what to do, that would be so awesome!!! thanks so much!! :)

2. brahmamomma

Jan 19, 2012
    northwest, durrr i meant northeast!!! hahaha im in jersey. dont know where my brain was there?

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

That depends on how many chicks you are talking about.

4. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    how many chicks and how big is the brooder, they grow so fast ventillation is highly important drill/make holes in it. i have two adult quail in a brooder now as im moving in a few days (with no heat) and it just about ok for them it'd need to be big, provide them with a good 14+ hours of light, well ventilated, one chicken needs about 3 sq ft.

5. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    Depending on how many you have I would probably put them in the garage due to ventalation. I don't think my wife would ever go for chickens in the house, even if it was the basement. Other option is to just run an extension cord out to the coop. Even if it's uninsulated it will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. WaterAye

WaterAye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    I have 7 chicks in the basement and they are 7 weeks old. It has been no trouble. There is smell and there is dust, but both are minimal. I am planning to put them outside next week and I'm on Long Island NY. Go for it. [​IMG]

7. brahmamomma

Jan 19, 2012
    thanks for the input guys ;) i am going to get 6. this is another quick question for you all, did any of your birds die? im nervous about this because i am a huge animal lover, i cant even eat meat, thats why i am getting chicks, so i can have cruelty free eggs and give them a happy live. i was just wondering how many to get if i want a flock of 6.

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I do it. It's not quite nice enough to move my oldest ones outside yet. At least i'm not ready - maybe they are. I will do it in another month probably.

In the meantime, I've found that a large plastic baby pool with a puppy exercise pen around it works great. I just add wood chips as needed and stir it up. Every so often I have to scoop it all out and start over. It works very well for me and they're happy.

The key is making sure they have enough space.

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Six chicks should be no problem. The kiddie pool with the puppy pen is a good idea. This is what I use. I started out with one and added the second with a connecting tunnel when they got bigger. I've had up to 21 chicks till they were 4 wks old.

[​IMG]

10. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    This is what mine looks like in my basement.
    **Keep in mind it looks more crowded in the picture than it should be. Some of these were sold and I have a second brooder like this to divide them up in. Only pic I had handy.** [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by