Can I keep 4 month old pullet with new day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazycatnchick, Nov 8, 2016.

1. crazycatnchick

crazycatnchick New Egg

Nov 8, 2016
    Pueblo West Colorado
    I started with 4 pullets but 2 got attacked by a dog :( and one got Mareks disease and didnt make it long. My last girl, Mo, is lonely and it's November so chickens are hard to find and I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and find some that are around her age or if I can get some chicks that are real youn? Will she pick on them or maybe mother them? Will they get along?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss.

A pullet that age probably will pick on them. Or she may be confused and a little scared herself. Hard to say really. If you do find other chickens, don't forget to quarantine so your lone girl doesn't catch something.

Will you be brooding them with Mama Heating Pad or under a heat lamp (red suggested)? I would brood them in her coop under MHP with a look but don't touch set up for a little while. Take them out on pasture with her but in a screened separation. Eventually removing the separator and provide places they can get away and she can't reach them for safety.

I wouldn't get less than 3 for this go around either. And I think it's great to have more than one breed so you can easily tell them and usually their eggs apart. It's possible she could mother them, but not likely in my experience.

I see chickens all the time on Craigslist farm and garden section. Best wishes finding her companions. [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    x2 - Good advice

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If your pullet has been exposed to Marek's, which she clearly has, then she may well be a carrier and keeping her anywhere near chicks will expose them to the virus at an age when they are most vulnerable. Your best bet might be to get older hens that are less likely to develop it. At this time of year, many egg factories are clearing out their 18month old layers to make way for younger birds. I believe they will sometimes sell the older birds rather than cull them if you can locate such a set up. They are usually good layers for another couple of years and it is wonderful to be able to rehabilitate those poor girls.
    Good luck finding a solution but in the meantime a mirror in the coop/run might make your single pullet feel a bit less lonely.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I love the mirror idea and have used it, good thinking. [​IMG]

Also I didn't realize the Marek's issue. And it is something I have zero experience with yet. [​IMG]

I love rescue pets! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by