1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I keep a couple of turkeys with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doddeldoo, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Doddeldoo

Doddeldoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Oak View Ca.
    I recently purchased several chickens and two bronze turkeys. I was planning on keeping them together. Will this be a problem?

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Do you free range, or will they be sharing a coop and run? I don't see a problem if you want to free range, but you might have some if they are cooped up.

3. Doddeldoo

Doddeldoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Oak View Ca.
    They will be in a coop and run. 17 chickens and one or two turkeys. The run is 12x10 and the coop 5x10

4. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Sorry, I tried to post this last night, but I could get the web site to work. I've been disappointed with what I can find about turkeys online so far, but what I have found says that they need 4 sq ft. per bird, which seems too little to me because chickens are supposed to have 4 sq ft. and turkeys are much larger. The only other thing I could find said that chickens and turkeys have different dietary needs and not to feed your turkeys chicken food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by