Can I keep a milk goat in the backyard with my dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 11, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My backyard is fenced with a shed in the middle. It covers about an half acre. I have two boxer mixes that are indoor/outdoor dogs. They bark at the neighbor's cows, but have seemed scared of his goats (when he has had them in the past). Both dogs are okay with the cats and the indoor ferret. They chase one of the chickens that went into the backyard and ripped a flap of skin open (after a large vet bill the chicken lived and did great for years). They are chasers and barkers, but neither is very brave.

A friend has offered me a milk goat. She is about a year old and has just been freshened for the first time. There may be two available. I think they are nubian cross.

My question is can I run the goat in the backyard with the dogs after a "getting to know you" period? i had thought to temporary fence the back half of the backyard and put the goat back there so they can see each other through the fence. After they get acquainted they could all use the back yard together. Would this work?

Option B is to fence a 2000+ sf chicken pen and put chickens and goat in there together. I'd have to add a shed to the chicken coop I have planned, but adding a lean to wouldn't be that hard.

What do you goat owners think?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Personally as I've had both boxers and goats, I'd be leary of running them together unsupervised. But every dog is different too.

jmo

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You'll just have to do a "watch" period.
    How big is the goat?? Will the goat be left alone with the dogs? (like with you not at home)??
    I guess all you can do is introduce them..and see what happens..
    Have your dogs killed/chased anythng before??
    I used to be able to let my dog and goats in the yard together.. but SUPERVISED only. I dont trust my darn dog.... [​IMG]
    Shes a chicken killer... etc...
    But if i am in the yard she wont touch them..(shes a smart little sneak.)

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    really depends on the dogs and the goat. Having 2 dogs together increases the chances of trouble though.

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I'd say no. The two dogs could injure or kill the goat. Not worth the risk.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:x2

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sounds like a bad idea to me

Obviously you weren't looking or planning for goats, and getting animals on the spur of the moment is seldom the right thing to do

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Actually I have been researching and planning for goats for over a year now. I have another acre of land that I want to fence and put a barn on and have been saving towards that end. I just got to studying the back yard this afternoon and was wondering if it would work instead of spending the money on the other fence and barn.

The dogs are wusses, but they do like the chase things. They are scared of the cats because the cats will turn on them. I was wondering if the same might be true of goats.

I guess I'll just keep saving. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats not true at all. She has been talking to us and asking questions about goats for a good long while now.
    Shes allowed to ask questions on things shes not sure about(how else do you learn?).... didnt you ever ask questions about something new?? Or did you wake-up knowing everything all at once??
    Shes doing the RIGHT thing by asking....

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Quote:Thats not true at all. She has been talking to us and asking questions about goats for a good long while now.
    Shes allowed to ask questions on things shes not sure about(how else do you learn?).... didnt you ever ask questions about something new?? Or did you wake-up knowing everything all at once??
    Shes doing the RIGHT thing by asking....

lol I know you're being serious but [​IMG]

It seems like, in my experience (and all dogs are different), that when dogs like to chase and there is more than ones its just a hop skip and a jump until something gets ripped apart for fun. Although they may run from the cats, I doubt the goat will stick up for itself (so not an expert). I would put up the temporary fence, take the goats and still build the barn. Seems like a win win!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by