Can I keep an incubator on the porch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redrooster99, Jan 14, 2015.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Ok so Is there a way to keep an incubator from stinking, or can I keep it on the porch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Incubators shouldn't stink. Developing eggs make no smell unless they are bad, but you can usually tell that early by candling. And it's just the egg that smells, not the incubator, so once the egg is removed, no more smell. The only time an incubator would stink is if it wasn't cleaned out between hatches, and even then, I can go a few hatches without really deep cleaning and there is no smell. So it shouldn't stink. But yes, you could keep an incubator on an enclosed porch if you could keep the temperature stable.

3. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I have a brand new incubator so I didn't clean it. The porch isn't realy enclosed. But I could probably keep the temp stable.

4. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    As cold as it has been down south the last few weeks, I don't think I would trust one outside. I just hatched a batch one state over, kept it in a bedroom, and it never smelled until the hatch was almost over, and that was only because of the drying egg shells. Could you keep them in a bathroom and run the fan?

5. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    No I don't think I could we use both bathrooms. But what if I was to hatch in warm weather? Thankyou all for commenting.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    In warm weather the porch should work fine as long as it doesn't get too hot. If you are wanting to hatch now any place that keeps a fairly stable temp will work. You might consider the laundry room or even a closet as long as it won't get bumped.

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Rememthat the outside environment (air around the incubator) will affect the temperature and humidity inside the incubator. I just did a hatch(still hatching) in my spare room. On a few warm days I had to keep an eye on it because it got a little warm. They on cooler days, had to turn it up. Don't know what incubator you have, just saying it may take you closer monitoring it if it is outside.

8. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I have a hoc abattoir genesis 1588.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by