Can I keep chickens in Airmont, Rockland County, NY?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Bellebramble, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bellebramble

Bellebramble New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    I'm super confused. We are moving from Brooklyn, where we can keep chickens, to Airmont, in Rockland County. We just bought a property on .80 of an acre, so almost an acre but not quite. I was able to see online that in Ramapo you can keep up to 10 chickens only if you have an acre, but I'm not sure if Ramapo includes Airmont. I will be in the Ramapo school district, so I'm thinking it does include Suffern and Airmont.

Anyone live in Suffern or Airmont and know what the law is? I looked not the town websites but couldn't find anything, I guess if no one knows I will have to call them up.

Thanks in advance!

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    [​IMG] Wow that county sure has a lot of laws! [​IMG] I couldnt find an answer for you either But found this map which shows that airmont is not in the same disctrict as Ramapo...but you would think any Chicken regulations would be for the whole county? Sorry..I am not much help.

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/Legislature/Lmaps/LegDistMap.pdf

3. Bellebramble

Bellebramble New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks! That's great, I hadn't seen that map. I only plan on having 5 chickens, no roosters, so I'm hoping it wont be an issue!

4. adamburr

adamburr New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    I live in Suffern and I'm thinking about getting a few chickens, I'm curious what you figured out about the local laws.

5. luvtubs

luvtubs New Egg

Feb 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by