Can I keep chicks in incubator for a few days after hatching?

Apriljc

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
My seven checks hatched today. The will stay with me entail Friday at which time they will be three full days old. Can I keep them in the forced air incubator until then? My heat lamp is giving me a hard time and I'm concerned about fire (they are in my living room).

I have cleaned and emptied the bator, lined it with anti slip cloth and paper towels, and placed in a small dish of water and food. I have lowered the temperature slightly. It will likely get opened often as the vent holes are open.

Thoughts?

You need to move them to a brooder if at all possible. That could work though if you are careful. Make sure they can breath and adjust the temperature if needed in the incubator.

Last edited:
How big is the incubator? You dont want them to be too cramped.

Honestly, if you can get someone to come over and check on them periodically, a heat lamp would be best. It doesnt have to be strong either, and the lamp would have to be like 250 watt to cause fire.

What kind of lamp are you working with that you're worried about fire or are having complications? And do you have a basement or other somewhat fireproof place you could put them in? Because really, putting them in the brooder would be best.

Yes, you can keep your chicks in your incubator for 3 days (I've done it before). The temperature can be lowerd down to 95* F and you can soon give them food and water. Just make sure that the incubator doesn't fog up because of their drinking water.

I have compounding issues. I have the issue of cats and children. I don't want anyone to get burned. Nor do I want the cats to knock it over out of curiosity. Additionally, I can't seem to get them lamp at the right height ( I need a better apparatus to hang it from). I want them out where the children can observe them (cuz thats the point of hatching them!) and I don't want to spend all night babysitting the temp. The lamp I have is a 150w heat lamp. Man does it get hot! The chicks move away and lay outside the edge of the circle projected by the lamp.

Maybe I'll have the owners take them home a day early. Then my childcare children can see them tomorrow and the chicks can go home Thursday. Seeing how I only have them for a couple of days, I don't want to spend money on it. My set up just isn't working as I'd hoped.

They are currently very quiet and calm. They have had a busy, exhausting day. They are laying near each other spread out a bit and not in a pile. They seem pretty content. I'll at least leave them for tonight. I'm slowly lowering the temp; currently at 97.5.

Back
Top Bottom