Can I keep just one goat?

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
I have been doing some reading on keeping one goat. I know that it is possible/people do it, but it is not recommend. I know that the goat needs a lot of love and attention. Luckily, we homeschool, so we’re home 24/7. I have free ranging chickens, an outdoor cat, and a grassy (weedy) 1 acre property. I have seen people get bashed for asking this “dumb” question, so, I’m asking for kindness in yals response. Thank you!

Maybe see its you can find 2 retired breeder goats. As long as they are secure you won't have to worry about breeding and birthing, being retired you wouldn't want to breed them. And if you can get retired dairy goats they are use to regular attention. Is just an idea. We got 2 wethers for 4h this year and someone the search for the wethers found 2 dairy goats the owner was looking for a retirement home for. They are very friendly and have been a good start for us while we get into the routine of multiple animals, supplemental feed cost, and getting fencing finished. If anything it would give you a chance to learn goats for a while before establishing anything long term. We're got a 3rd recently from the same dairy breeder, all 3 had delivery issues with thier last pregnancy ants are between 4 and 6 years old. Plus since they are already easy to hand, the young wethers see this and seem to behave better when handled too, rather them if my son works with the wethers on his own

Maybe see its you can find 2 retired breeder goats. As long as they are secure you won't have to worry about breeding and birthing, being retired you wouldn't want to breed them. And if you can get retired dairy goats they are use to regular attention. Is just an idea. We got 2 wethers for 4h this year and someone the search for the wethers found 2 dairy goats the owner was looking for a retirement home for. They are very friendly and have been a good start for us while we get into the routine of multiple animals, supplemental feed cost, and getting fencing finished. If anything it would give you a chance to learn goats for a while before establishing anything long term. We're got a 3rd recently from the same dairy breeder, all 3 had delivery issues with thier last pregnancy ants are between 4 and 6 years old. Plus since they are already easy to hand, the young wethers see this and seem to behave better when handled too, rather them if my son works with the wethers on his own
Thank you! We are looking into the Nigerian Dwart breed. Have you heard of them?

Back
Top Bottom