Can I keep my chicken and ducks in the same pin

Nvazquez

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2016
Franklin, NC
caf.gif
I was wondering if I can put my Blue Swedish Duck in the same coop/fence with my Barred Rock Chicken? They are both breeding pairs! If not what chicken can live with what duck? I'm looking for a pair of chicken/duck to lay fertile eggs for hatching in the incubator!! HELP ME OUT PLEASE.... LOL!

Some say you should never house ducks and chickens together... others say you can... you will get opposite opinions on this question for sure, lol...

I free range mine together every day, but they have their own coops and duck houses...

If there's plenty of space and you can set up appropriate feeding/watering stations for both, it might work well... it also depends on the ducks and the chickens, individuals are different... you can try it but be prepared with a quick and easy way to divide the run and coop if necessary... the biggest issue is the drake... if he decides to try to mate the chicken hen, he could seriously injure or even kill her... so during breeding season you'll need to keep vigilant or separate them to avoid any chance of issues... hope this helps... :)

Oh, and I am flagging my post to get a Mod to move your thread to the proper forum, I think Flock Management is appropriate, so others will see it easier... :)

Thanks!! And LOL.. Still learning how to navigate this site! That helps I just wasn't sure about it all!! ANY help is more than welcome!
D.gif

Hi, @Nvazquez! I agree with @RavynFallen - while ducks and chickens seem to coexist reasonably peacefully when allowed to free range (though my Muscovies will sometimes entertain themselves by pulling out the chickens' tailfeathers), I'd definitely house them separately. I have one chronically broody duck who camps out in the chicken coop and the chickens ignore her, but they will have a cow if other ducks even visit the chicken coop.

This time of year it works fine for me. I have two drakes and two ducks. Once spring arrives and then most of the summer the drakes will run the hens to death. I then have to separate during the day. They sleep in the same coop all year. The chickens stay on the roost in the spring and summer until the ducks are lead to their daytime pen, which is really just my yard.

The other issue with ducks in with chickens in ducks are very messy when it comes to their water. It will be clean about 2 minutes once you change it.

It works well for me but once these ducks are gone, no more for me.

Can I use a kiddie pool for swimming? Actually, I had to order same chicks but they were out of Blue Swedish so I got Blue Runners. I seen somewhere a tote with a hole cut out for a door. And I seen a med. size dog house. would that work? It said they can fly a little like 2 feet or so. Will they run away?

A kiddie pool works just fine, its what I use. Mine are Harlequins and they can get in and out just fine. If yours can't a cement block, one on the inside and one on the outside to help them in and out.

As far as housing, a large doghouse will work fine if that is what you are limited to. It will need a door that can be securely locked to keep out predators at night and plenty of ventilation and window would probably be better, the opening will need heavy gage wire nailed over it.

they will not run away.

Can I use a kiddie pool for swimming? Actually, I had to order same chicks but they were out of Blue Swedish so I got Blue Runners. I seen somewhere a tote with a hole cut out for a door. And I seen a med. size dog house. would that work? It said they can fly a little like 2 feet or so. Will they run away?

Kiddie pool works just fine for a couple of ducks... a tote with a cut out door is great for a nest box... dog houses can work, I'd go for the extra large and ventilate it well... are you getting these as ducklings? That makes a big difference...

@Amiga has runners and can give you more specific info about them... and she has some great links to less mess watering options... and if ducklings, there are some nutritional needs that are different than chicks and you'll need to look into different brooder options...

Back
Top Bottom