Can I keep my chicks in a barn stall with a heat lamp?

slackercsb

Hatching
May 6, 2020
We got 24 Buff Orpingtons to raise that are about two weeks old. Eventually they will free range and have a nice outdoor coop. For now, they're a little louder and messier than my wife was expecting for the indoors (personally I think they're just fine lol). We have a barn with a 10x8' stall that is cleaned out and nice. Assuming I take the proper precautions to keep predators out and make the area nice for them with proper bedding, would they be able to live and be comfortable in there with a heat lamp(s)? In our area we're still getting night lows in the 40s to mid 50s with days in the 60s, but the barn should be a little warmer than that being protected from the elements. Would 2 heat lamps be enough to give them proper warmth? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Raise mine in my mechanic shop over in the back corner till they big enough to go out in the coop. Doubt your barn is any worse than that.

A barn should be fine as long as long as you can achieve the temps the chicks need and it isn't too drafty. Be extra careful with the heat lamp and anything flammable like bedding.

Thanks for reply. The heat lamp should get them the temperature they need and I guess they just won't stray too far from it if they get cold?

Back
Top Bottom