Can I keep my roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dotty, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Dotty

Dotty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Washington
    I have a mixed flock of about 20 chicks, 8 weeks old. It's looking like 6-8 of them are boys. I would enjoy having one roo, but I have had negative experiences with mean roos in the past.

These boys are polish, silkies, and cochins. Are any of those breeds nicer, more docile than the other?

Should I keep them in a separate pen?

Looking for any suggestions on how to be a good roo owner. [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    If they are raised together they should be fine together. If you do not want them bothering the ladies then I would keep them in a seperate pen. My Roosa has his own pen and is free range and the ladies have their own pen and an exterior run. Sounds like you have a good group there. Good luck and I would love to see pics. [​IMG]

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I must disagree with mmajw. 6 roosters to 14 hens would mean fighting among the roos and exhausted, stressed hens. You can see how it goes but I wouldn't count on it working out. I would start looking for homes for all but 1 rooster soon. Even if they are raised together, hormones kick in and they can't help it, they have to be roosters.

I have a silkie roo and he has a nice disposition, and he's too small to hurt the ladies.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I am sorry I guess I worded that wrong, I meant that if the Roosters are raised together should be fine together. No, I would no suggest keeping ALL the Roosters with the Hens.
    My Roosa loves his space.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    2 roosters would not be too much for 20 hens. I have two roos (hopefully Ideal's sexers were having a good day and I don't have more than that [​IMG] ) I have 19 pullets.

6. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    In the past I've kept a good many roos with less hens, but they would free range during the day and seperate into their own little flocks. I'm not sure how that many roos would do in one flock. You could always try it and if you see problems developing you could get rid of a few roos.

7. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    The thing is, she doesn't have 20 hens, she has 20 chickens, 6 to 8 of which are roos. 6 roos to 14 hens is not a good combination, even free range. I tried it myself hoping that I wouldn't have to get rid of the roos, I had 12 hens and 5 roos. All they did was fight with each other and chase the hens around to the point of exhaustion. They couldn't get a break. Finally I rehomed 4 of them and kept one. Peace returned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by