Can I keep newly hatched quail on clean sand?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yallapilko, Jun 30, 2016.

1. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    The title says it all.
    I'd like to try this out, but was worried they would eat the sand.
    Has anyone tried doing this? If so, how did it go?
    Thanks,

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    In my experience turds & sand make poopballs that build up on their toes and are hard to remove.

3. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks ChickenLegs13. What bedding do you use? I've used wood shavings, but they also get stuck to feet and are hard to remove, but I can see that they may indeed turn to concrete in no time.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I use cheap paper towels on the floor of the brooder box. It absorbs the moisture from their poop and dry poop don't stick to their feet as bad. After about a week there's a layer of poop on the paper towels and it gets sticky and smelly so at that time I move them to a wire bottom brooder/grower cage. Sometimes they get turdballs before I move them and the balls will get caught the wire floor making the birds trip and it will snatch off their claws and the end of their toes. In that case I use a chicken waterer base instead of a quail waterer base. It's wider and the quail will step in it. The water softens the turdballs and they fall off.

5. UniqueQuail

UniqueQuail Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Hi. I use paper towels for the first few days. Cleaning it daily, cause man can they poo a lot. Then I change to sawdust. Pretty deep sawdust which I love them on for about a week before going on deeper sawdust pen if I have space or wire based grow pen if I don't.

6. That Quail Lady

That Quail Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Houston
    I only use paper towels. Saw dust, pine shaving anything like that including sand would probably irritate they're eyes and nostrils.

7. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Paper towels for 3 days and then into a deep litter brooder filled with decomposed wood mulch that was sifted through a 1/4" mesh. Dust bathing by day 5 .

8. Ladybirdmama

Ladybirdmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2016
    BC, Canada
    We are getting what will be about week old chicks on Tuesday and plan on doing deep litter when they are out of the brooder. Should I start them on deep litter right away when to get them? I'm a newb. I was originally thinking I would line the brooder with newspaper and put hay in one end and the food & water in the other end. It don't have a solid plan though and am doing more reading now.

9. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I used paper towels until 3 days old and right into a deep litter brooder. I used decomposed wood chip mulch that I sifted through a 1/4" mesh. They were dust bathing by 5 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by