1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I keep running ducks with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessica32, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hello forum-

I'm in my 3rd year of chicken keeping and have been very tempted to get 2 running duck pullets this season. I don't really know anything about ducks though. Of course I will do some major reasearch before I get any, but before I get past the dreaming stage, I wonder if it is okay to keep ducks and chickens together? Do ducks need to have a pond? Can two ducks live in harmony with about 30 hens and 2 roosters? Can I raise the babies together? Will they eat the same food? Anyone who is willing to offer some knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Copper Kettle Farm

Copper Kettle Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    My muscovies bullied the chickens, so they were separated. King Tut, my Egyptian Famoumi escaped one day (imagine that!) and the ducks tore him to pieces! His comb, and waddles were bloodied. There was so much blood on his chest , I thought my beagle attacked him. I know runner ducks are a smaller breed, but...I would be careful. Mallards bickered with the chickens too.
    They were fed starter feed and were housed in the same cage. The ducks grew larger and faster than the chickens, and eventually were separated. While it's important to have a source of water for the ducks to dunk their heads into clear their nostrils, a pond is not necessary. My ducks have a small baby pool, and a cement tub I picked up at Lowe's.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have pekins with my chickens since last summer and they have all got along great until about 3 weeks ago when the rooster and drake started fighting. My buff orpington rooster has really turned mean. My husband put the roo in a pen by himself today hoping he will calm down. He has attacked my husband twice and drew blood so I'm thinking about getting rid of him because I don't need him. I'm getting 10 runner ducks in april. Other than the roo my chickens and ducks get along fine. They don't need a pond, a kiddie pool will do fine and my ducks eat the same food as my chickens.

4. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you can't feed them the medicated chicken feed, but if your chicken feed isn't medicated then thats not an issue.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Runner Ducks should be fine with chickens, my ducks have never had any problems with the chickens...they even sleep in the same house at night.

This is a good place to order Runners : Metzer Farms

6. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Thank you all for replying. Please keep the info coming. Another question I have regards weather. Can runner ducks endure Michigan winters? This winter has been really cold but, my chickens are doing fine. Will ducks hold up as well?

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Ducks are hardier than chickens in cold weather, because they lack combs/wattles susceptible to frostbite. This is, of course, as long as you provide basic housing out of wind/precipitiation for them. That being said, my 'scovies, Welsh Harlequins, and Geese all tend to sleep outside, despite having housing available. Also note that I'm in Michigan as well. [​IMG]

As for living together, YES, they can do GREAT together. I find it odd that people had issues. Then again, I'm a strong believer in free ranging birds and do so 24/7. I believe that is why I have little issue with keeping them all together - because there's enough space to get away from bullies if needed. I have multiple feeders, waterers, and housing sources available all the time. I currently have chickens, geese, guineas, welsh harlequin ducks, and muscovy ducks free ranging together, happy as can be. Sure, every once in a while there is a little spat - that is to be expected and is normal. I've had no serious injuries. We've had the muscovies in with the chickens for at least 4-5 years now. The geese, guineas, and welsh harlequins are all new as of 2010, but haven't caused issues so far and I don't see them starting any soon.

8. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Runner ducks are very cold hardy you wouldnt think so since they are all bones and guts but they seem to have no problem handling cold weather. I have muscovy and runners in with chickens and they don't bother each other at all.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a khaki campbell duck and a fawn runner drake. They got along very well with the chickens til I made the mistake of putting them in the chicken coop when it got cold. The hens not the roosters picked on the drake. I got a dog house and put it in a run now the ducks have their own house. They do very well in the cold. I dont let them swim much, actually only once this winter when we have a couple of days in the 40's. The rest of winter has been pretty cold and snowy. Down to 2 below one night and we are getting freezing rain tomorrow and 12-15 inches of snow predicted for Tuseday and Wednesday. IM READY FOR SPRING!!!!!

10. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    if you want to take good care of them keep them separate and never feed them chicken feed. just duck feed
    if you do not care about their well being to much then i guess you can keep them with the chicken and feed them chicken feed ,they will not be very healthy though and will survive for only a fraction of their expected lifespan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by