Can I keep them in this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duckncover, Oct 6, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I have a small chicken tractor type coop in my bedroom for my 2 month old bantam frizzle hen. It's really way too big for her. I'm going to be getting 2 mallard ducklings and 4 chicks on Wednesday. I want to keep them with my hen in the big coop that way they can grow up in there and I won't have to keep moving them. I usually keep my chicks in a 20g fish tank but it's smashed. If I provide a heat lamp and keep my room warm will the 6 of them be okay in a big area like that? I'm pretty sure Pidgey the frizzle will not bother them and might even make friends but in general do young hens get along with babies?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sure the chicks will be okay for a while, but how much space exactly are we talking? Are you planning for all the birds to just live there? That's a lot of dust from the chicks, and the poop/ammonia is going to take a lot of work to stay on top of. Personally, I can't imagine having that many birds in the house, let alone my bedroom.

I also would never, ever brood ducklings in the house again. They are so incredibly messy, they splatter water everywhere, and it makes the bedding stink.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with all that donrae stated, water fowl are very messy & the smell with all that poop isn't good for your health & theirs.

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    The mallards and the frizzle bantam will live in it. The 4 standard pullet chicks will be Ideal Poultry's random assortment. I'm just gonna raise the pullets to a decent size and donate them as pets to a family that could use the eggs. But if I get anything pretty or rare I will probably keep one and put her and the frizzle in a separate enclosure from the ducks. It's got a 30longx25tallx30wide shelter and a 30longx25tallx30wide. It's in my bedroom but I will have an outdoor area for them to get sun.

It's not a permanent plan though. Once they are full sized and I have a few dollars I'll figure somewhere to put a large planted (probably mostly fake plants but some pet grass would be nice) aviary for all 3 or 4 of them. I could probably get rid of some of the dressers in my room and put it in there. Would mallards and chickens appreciate height when it comes to an enclosure? Because aside from making more ground space it would be easy to make it like 6 feet tall. I could add platforms and perches too. For the indoor enclosure I'd be using either 2x1s or pvc for the frame and probably the cheap heavy plastic mesh since there are dangerous predators in my house, haha.

Anyways I guess the main 2 questions are: Can a 2 month old pullet be housed safely with babies if you introduce them properly and watch closely at first? And secondly I'm used to raising the babies in a fish tank will the be okay with the bigger space? And will they be warm enough with a heat lamp and a heating pad?

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Hard to know. It could attack them or it could be glad of company and be happy to see them. I'd just make sure I had a plan B in case it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't be happy with more room, think I'm missing something Just make sure they can get to warmth if they want it and I'm not sure what other problems there might be.

Word of warning though. I lasted a week with 4 chicks in my family room constantly changing paper before it started to smell like a chook pen and they got demoted to the laundry. Ducks apparently are 10 times worse. So not sure a bedroom is going to work for long for that many chicks and ducklings.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Like I said I'm only keeping the 2 ducks and the frizzle and possibly another pullet. Ive had waterfowl since I was a kid and they always stayed in my room. Quacker is practically a goose and he lived in my room for almost 6 months without issue. He'd still be here if he didn't meet a bunch of ducks at my friends and decide to stay.
    They are very messy but I've learned some tricks to keep them healthy and a little less messy. Apple cider vinagar in the water helps keep their stomachs running well and that means less runny poo. And fermented feed helps keep the smell down in chickens and ducks. I use bedding sprays, sweet pdz, and shovel out the bad bedding once, twice,or even three times a day. I have a flock of parrots in my living room so I know what it means to keep things clean so it doesn't get out of control. Oh and they'll be outside a bunch of the time during the spring and summer too.

7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Haha I'm used to the mess and smell. I have ducklings all the time. The trick is getting natural products to help with the smell. They sell them for parrots and small animals. The sweet pdz is a granulate that you put in the bedding and it absorbs the smell and some of the wetness. Then the bedding spray is great for both soiled and clean bedding and they are both nontoxic and safe. I got the apple cider trick from a parrot rescue. My thinking I suppose is they might get lost or confused and wouldn't be able to find the heat source. I introduce parrots all the time and that can be dangerous so I'm sure I can get Pidgey to play nice with the babies. I can always put them in a plastic tote if they don't get along and try again once they grow a little. But I think she'll like them because she's always trying to make friends with my conures.

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have raised ducklings and chicks in the brooder and never again! The ducks out grow the chicks very quickly, swill the food and bedding through the water and let me tell you , no amount of acv is going to keep the water clean. "Clean " water and dry feed are essential for healthy chickens and as cute as they are ducklings make that impossible to achieve.
    [​IMG]
    IMHO

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Well the chicks are just "fillers" because Ideal makes you have a $25 order. I think i'm just going see if my friend wants them. Because I got her 2 silver wyandottes so maybe she'll want the other pullets too. I'll put some food and water on Pidgey's perch for her to eat and drink from. I can teach her by putting mealworms in the bowl haha. That way she won't have to bother with the duckies messy stuff. Mallards are considered a bantam breed. They only weigh 2 1/2 pounds fully grown so they won't be as bad as standard ducks. If there is any problems I have an unlimited amount of spare cages for them all. I work for a parrot rescue so I tend to collect unwanted cages and crates for the rescue birds.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the frizzle will be fine with the littles, but as the ducks mature they may not be fine with her. Even small mallard drakes can be very, very aggressive when it comes to mating and he may quite likely injure her. With that small set up there's no room for her to get away from him.

I don't think you have enough space, personally, and the whole thing of them in the bedroom just reeks of a health hazard to me, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by