can i leave my chickens out at night even when its raining?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lisa0318, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    hi, i have a coop thats opened is it ok that they get wet when it rains or should i close the coop to keep them dry?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We shut our coops at night because of preditors, but never during the day no matter what the weather. Our grow out pen is open fronted and they just ignore the rain during the day. A heavy downpour might make them run for the coop, but they don't seem to pay any attention to light showers.

I would be sure they could get in the dry if they need or want to though.

3. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    you should be fine leaving the door open at least chicken wise. I don't really know how your coop is constructed but leaving it long enough over years can cause damages to your door. FYI chickens will survive in rain and snow well at least the one running around my yard are anyways

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Predators will kill your chickens if the coop is open to the outdoors at night.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. Lisa0318

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Ok thank you . Its thundering hard and raining and i didnt know if it could harm them to get wet.[​IMG]

6. Lisa0318

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    The coop door is not open but i have the run area opened with chicken wire and if they are out there they get wet.should i cover the hole coop with a tarp?

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    My hen house opens into a fenced one acre lot. The only time the coop door is closed is when I need to do something with the hens.

I've never lost one to any predator whatsoever.

I have lost cocks on tie-cords to predators, but not very often. My stags run free from 10 weeks of age until around 10 months. I seldom if ever lose any of them. They roost wherever they can find a spot. They are out in all kinds of weather: including hurricanes/tropical storms.

I have yotes, owls, eagles, opossum, coons, and the neighbors stupid dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by