1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I leave my chickens outside in their coop tonight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teresaolive, Jun 6, 2016.

1. teresaolive

teresaolive New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Hi all,
    I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I've never raised chickens before. I hear you can put them in the coop full time between 4-6 weeks. I'm wondering if mine have enough feathers to stay in their coop over night. They are 5 weeks old. I'm really only concerned about one of them. Although they hatched within days of each other, she is the smallest of the bunch and still has some of her downy baby feathers left, mostly on her neck and near her vent. The temp is supposed to get down to 61 degrees tonight. The lowest it will be all week is 54 degrees. I've included some pictures. I'd love to hear some opinions!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Form the pic the appear to have enough feathers in to enable them to regulate their body temperatures. What I'd do is leave them in the coop in the evening and watch their behaviour. If they appear comfortable, leave them out, but if huddle very close together for warmth, bring them in for a few more nights.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If your chicks have already been weaned off their heat source, which they should have been by now, they should be able to go straight to the coop outdoors with no problems whatsoever.

But, as sumi points out, if they are still using a heat source, they may not be fully weaned and you will need to watch them.

4. teresaolive

teresaolive New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Thank you for the advice! It helped immensely. I really appreciate it!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome! Just a word of warning though: on that first night outside they are going to yell their little hearts out for you. So don't let them see you, if possible, when checking on them. They'll get used to being outside all night soon, but the first night is always a bit hard.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Have no worries.
    They will do great out in the coop.
    Now their real lives start.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They wont need heat. Chicks are tough little buggers.
    Mine have been in the coop since they were 5 days old.
    Four weeks now and off heat with over night temps at 12 degrees.

1 person likes this.
  8. teresaolive

teresaolive New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Ha! Those buggers! They totally got me that first night. Kept looking at me with big, sorrowful eyes, and cheeping for me until I relented and put them in the garage for the night. I'm such a sucker!!

9. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be perfectly fine. From first glance at the pictures they have plenty feathers. Just make sure to check on them in the morning just in case ;) They remind me exactly of my chickens I used to have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by