Can I leave one baby chick home alone for half a day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickedie, Mar 10, 2015.

1. chickedie

chickedie New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    I only have one baby chick that I am raising but I have classes from 8-12:45 and I cannot bring him today. If I leave him home he will not be fawned over every hour but he will be fed and checked on by whoever is home. Is it alright to leave him? Or will it make him Ill?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can put a mirror in with him (make sure it won't fall on him) so he feels there is another chick there.

The day old chicks require heat and so maybe he is better off under his heat lamp (they need it to survive):
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

You are right they do get so lonely if there is no one there!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    He'll be fine if he's in a brooder with a heat lamp or source of heat and a filled feeder and waterer. Last summer I raised a singleton when only the test egg in the incubator hatched. Not something I wish, but it can be done.
    It's probably better leaving him where he is accustomed to being and comfortable, rather than carting him about where the temperature could change.

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    yeah the mirror is a great idea. Also, I do hope you have a feeder and watering fount of some kind set up where it can eat and drink as it wants to, not just limiting it to being fed a few times a day? please say yes..... [​IMG]

5. chickedie

chickedie New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    I do have a feeder and watering fount. :) I will definitley take your advices and put a mirror in with him when I leave for school. Thank you all for your time and help!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by