1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I leave the coop door open to the area underneath it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JohnPeel, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JohnPeel

JohnPeel Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so the days are drawing nearer to getting my 6 chooks. We pick them up in the first week of Jan 2012, just 4 weeks away. During the afternoon when I am around, I will be able to let them free range. But I was thinking that if I was out for the day and night, it would be nice for them to have some space.

You can see on the floor around the coop there is hardware cloth, and the whole of the lower area is covered in hardware cloth, and there are no areas where even a mouse can get through, as I have even secured under the roof. We have foxes, badgers, hawks, owls, stoats, and the usual rats and mice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I am around I will be able to let them frree range all around them and my neigbours many acres, and a forest of many acres, my property is only just over an acre or so, but they wont be restricted from using the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Assuming you are getting chicks, once they are feathered out they should be fine having free access to the protected area under that coop any time. It looks like a nice coop, and well built.

3. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Nice! We have ours open to the lower section all the time. Unless you have some kind of Super-predator in the UK, I'd say you are good leaving it open.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Looks like your run is secure.

Should be no problem leaving their little chicken door open.

I also have a secure run and I leave my chicken door open 24/7.

In the mornings I open up the run door to allow my chickens to free range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JohnPeel

JohnPeel Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all. The chickens will be new to an industrial egg laying plant, so we are getting them the week they arrive so I believe they will be pullets, not sure though as I don't know at what stage these farms get them. There coop is nice and toasty though, double glazed windows and double skinned walls. Letting them out will to free range in the day will be a scary day. I just imagine the door openning and the chickens running like roadrunners across the field and into the sunset. Hope not. Should I leave the food in the lower section then, or in the coop area above?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by