Can I leave these roosting bars the way they are?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MA Mama, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I just set up my brand new coop. I had planned on placing two roosting bars made of 2"x4" lumber, placed specifically with the 4" flat part so the chickens would have a wide 4" surface to stand on. (We live in the North and this was recommended so they can completely cover their toes in cold weather.) HOWEVER I somehow lost my brain and nail-gunned them in with the short side up, so the surface to stand on is 2' and the perch is 4" deep. Is that OK or do I need to put the time into changing it back. I don't have any chickens yet (just teeny chicks) so I'd like to do the changes now before anybody moves in and messes the place up. What do you think? Are they OK the way they are?

2. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    My chickens used to sleep on a stick. I think it will be ok for them depending on the weather there.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have most of my 2x4 roosts with the 2" side up but we don't get super cold here. Its up to you on how you want it. If it is not a huge problem to switch it to the 4" side up I would probably change it.

Nate

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Go ahead and redo them. When you do that, you want to make the roosts removable. Don't permanently nail them in place. It helps provide more access to the coop at cleaning time, and it's nice to be able to remove the roost bars to clean them.
    Jack

5. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    Excellent idea! Now I just have to convince my husband that not only does he have to redo the bars, he has to make them removable too!

6. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    sleeping on stick is a bad idea. unless the stick is like a 2x4 then its ok. The reason its bad, is because over the months there chest will get bent on to the stick. You could feel it. It wont be smooth, there will be a dent on the chest.

7. Purdy

Purdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Sparta, Michigan
    2x2s work okay for rooster bars.
    you should sand them down, so the corners are rounded.
    when ever possible, I use tree limbs 3/4 inch to 2 1/2 round.
    also keep in mind, that roost bars help keep your chickens feet clean.
    some bark on the roost bar works well for keeping up with foot hygiene.

hope this helps

8. thaokou21

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas

Agree.

9. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I had read somewhere NOT to use barked branches because they could cause bumblefoot and harber mites more easily than regular wood. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks in advance...

10. thaokou21

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas

My thoughts on that is as long as you clean your coop or pen and dust it, there should b no mites. hang the barked branches to high will cause bumblefoot because some birds are too big, and when they jump of the branches, they are landing on the ground really hard. That will cause bumblefoot. putting the branches on the ground is bad since mice r able to get access to cutting of the birds feather to make a mice nest. I put my about 15inches of the ground. Thats just me. But if you got one of those jungle fowl, the one that fly really high, they have no problem to height since they are so light at landing.(barked branches just has to be large enought for them to be roosting on it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by