can i leave three week old ducks without water overnight?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bangor777, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Hi guys,
    The weather here is supposed to be great this weekend. I'm planning on putting my almost four week old ducks outside during the day, can I leave the water out of their brooder overnight then? They are sooooo messy (as you all know) and I would love a few days break from twice daily litter changes.
    Lori

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I would never keep water from them. I clean my ducks brooder every morning and night, its just part of having ducks. I use a large tray and then put the large shavings on the tray then their gallon waterer. It makes clean up alot easier, you just clean off the tray and add new shavings then new water. I just do it twice a day. Mine will go on the pond when they are fully feathered, maybe in 3 weeks. Good Luck with yours and have fun![​IMG]

3. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    I don't know, my sweet little ones get the whole huge brooder wet....seemingly in minutes!
    OK, I'll keep cleaning [​IMG]

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i would never leave mine without water. dehydration sucks.

oh- what kind of water dish are you using?

5. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    I've tried the regular chick waterer and a milk jug with a hole. Any other ideas?

6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    At 4 wks., I think they're still a little too young to be without water (or food) overnight. Their metabolism rates are so fast right now, anything they eat is used up and passes through them in a matter of minutes. Ducks also need to have water, deep enough to submerge and clear their nostrils, whenever food is available.

7. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone!

8. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    My waterer is placed inside of a small, plastic, kitty litter pan. The kitty pan is then set on top of a puppy pee pee pad. Between the pan catching some of the excess water and the pad absorbing some, it keeps the other bedding much drier.

9. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    oh, the puppy pad is a good idea. I have the waterer in a pan as well but the surrounding litter (like two to three feet away) still gets soaked!

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    you could possibly lower the water level and have little ramps for them to go in and out? jeez, it's been forever since i had ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by